Wednesday, September 19, 2007

A touching and wonderful email from folks who met Brooke and Karen on Mackinac Island

I received this email on the blog account today. Two people who met Brooke and Karen on Mackinac Island wrote us their recollections...

-----
Christian,

Let me start by saying how sorry I am for your loss. I was quite shocked to hear of the crash.

My wife and I had flown into Mackinaw Island on the 22nd of August arriving around 3:30pm. We met Karen and Brooke while waiting for a taxi from the airport to our respective hotels. As the taxis on Mackinaw are horse drawn carriages sharing a ride is not unusual and we discussed flying and our respective trips while waiting for the cab and during the ride into town. There was a bit of joking about the amount of luggage we (were not) carrying versus the collection of bags Karen and Brooke had with them :-) Karen seemed pretty outgoing and animated, Brooke a little more reserved - perhaps quietly amused would be a good description.

In a rather odd coincidence we both called a cab on the 24th for the ride back to the airport - so we shared the ride again. I discussed with Brooke my work with industrial controls and that I had probably read several of his articles in the past. Brooke was telling me about his new book.

On reaching the airport we loaded our aircraft and then Karen showed me the Trinidad. I did not board her aircraft but did take a good look at the plane and the control panel. The aircraft appeared to be in good condition. Karen took a look at my plane (a Liberty XL2) and then returned to preflight the Trinidad. I did notice Karen talking with several other pilots who landed while we were at the airport - I believe she was checking on the cloud ceilings. I departed Mackinaw IFR at 1:17pm and saw the Trinidad on the ramp at that time. I am assuming that they departed shortly thereafter based on the time of the accident.

Unfortunately I do not have any pictures from the trip - I wish now that I had one to share with you. Karen and Brooke were relaxed and happy - a nice couple enjoying themselves. Brooke was gracious enough to walk over to my plane before we departed and hand me his business card and said to send him my address and he would forward a signed copy of his book to me. I thought that was a very nice gesture - and from what I have read of him it was also quite normal.

It was a pleasure meeting Karen and Brooke. If I can be of any assistance to you please let me know.

Sincerely

Mark Radabaugh

No comments: